Thursday, July 5, 2012

Jam Country

Once we left Portland, shakes in hand, we headed south to my aunt Mary's house in Buena Vista. We realized about twenty minutes into our forty minute drive that both girls were asleep and that if we took the direct route, the girls would only have a twenty minute nap. So, we decided to take the scenic route through some wine country via Carlton. I'd read about a jam shop in Carlton called Republic of Jam and figured I could buy some Oregon jams as hostess gifts, since we'd be seeing friends and family on our drive.



We passed through McMinnville and wound into the country, seeing filbert orchards, vineyards, big hills of evergreens, and damp pastures. The Hotel Vintage Plaza , where we stayed in Portland, included a nightly wine reception and rooms named after Oregon wineries. So we were excited to drive past Monks Gate Vineyard which was the name of our room. If we didn't have sleeping children with us, I'm sure we would have stopped for a taste or three.

In Carlton, I jumped out of the truck and walked into a little main street shop for the jam. The store was lined with seemingly all varieties of jam. The owner came over and explained her jam philosophy - less sugar, more fruit for a jam that is more of a spread. I picked marion berry, raspberry rhubarb, rhubarb rosemary, and pickled limes. All were very Oregonian in nature, except the limes. But the limes were interesting and I though maybe someday I'd make my own using limes from our tree in San Diego.

We then continued on to Buena Vista to see my aunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment